- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp chopped fresh oregano (or a pinch of dry)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, ground
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb firm tofu, pressed (weighted with heavy pan to squeeze out water)
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over low heat and add olive oil, onion, carrot, salt, pepper, garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring often, until tender, 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg, then add breadcrumbs, walnuts, parsley, and mustard.
- Crumble the pressed tofu with your hands and add it to the bowl along with the sautéed vegetables. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Form tofu mixture into 12 balls and place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake until crisp and brown on the outside, approximately 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 Servings (3 meatballs per serving)
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 188; Total Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 1.5 g; Total Carbohydrate: 11 g; Total Sugars: 3 g (Added, 1 g); Dietary Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 11.5 g; Sodium: 373 mg; Potassium: 274 mg; Calcium: 141 mg; Vitamin D: 1 µg; Iron: 2 mg
(tsp = teaspoon; Tbsp = Tablespoon; lb = pound; g = grams; mg = milligrams; µg = microgram)
Recipe courtesy of Janis Jibrin, MS, RD. Recipe adapted from The Pescatarian Plan: The Vegetarian + Seafood Way to Lose Weight and Love Your Food. (Ballentine Books, 2014)