- 3 cup peeled and roughly chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped unsalted cashews
- 1 large leaf or 2 small leaves sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Freshly ground black pepper to taste
This simple soup gets its creaminess from unsaturated fat-rich cashews.
1. In a large pot, place the carrots, cashews, and sage. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are very tender.
2. Place the carrot mixture in a blender and process until very smooth, about 1 minute.
3. Before serving, reheat the soup and stir in salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, add a few tablespoons of water.
Yield: 4 Servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 87; Total Fat: 4 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Total Carbohydrate: 12 g; Total Sugars: 5 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 2 g; Sodium: 213 mg; Potassium: 356 mg; Calcium: 38 mg; Vitamin D: 0 IU; Iron: 0 mg
(tsp = teaspoon; g = grams; mg = milligrams; IU = International Units)
Recipe courtesy of Janis Jibrin, MS, RD. Adapted from The Pescetarian Plan: The Vegetarian + Seafood Way to Lose Weight and Love Your Food. (Ballantine Books, 2014).