- 1 cup uncooked cracked wheat
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Small pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a large bowl, place cracked wheat and golden raisins, add 1 cup boiling water, cover with a plate or plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Add pistachios, olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne. Serve immediately, chilled, or warm gently in the oven or microwave.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 197; Total fat: 11 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Carbohydrate: 23 g; Total dietary fiber: 5 g; Sugars: 8 g (Added sugars: 0 g); Protein: 6 g; Sodium: 134 mg; Calcium: 49 mg; Iron: 4 mg.
(Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; g = grams; mg = milligrams)
Recipe courtesy of The Pescetarian Plan by Janis Jibrin, recipes by Sidra Forman (Ballantine Books, 2014)