- 2 cups tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, etc.), fresh or frozen
- 1 medium apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 cups milk or fortified soymilk
- 1 cup fresh spinach or kale (or 1⁄3 cup frozen)
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger (optional)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
- Divide into glasses.
Serving Size: 4 (8 oz) servings
Per serving (using pineapple and nonfat milk): Calories: 135; Total Fat: 1 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Total Carbohydrate: 26 g; Total Sugars: 20 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 4 g; Protein: 6 g; Sodium: 73 mg; Potassium: 410 mg; Calcium: 169 mg; Vitamin D: 1 mcg; Iron: 2 mg.
(Tbsp = tablespoons; tsp = teaspoon; g=gram(s); mg=milligram(s); mcg = microgram.)
Recipe and photo courtesy Organic Valley and www.nourishnutritionblog.com