8 oz extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for best results
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups finely chopped mushrooms (any kind)
2 green onions (scallions), diced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp low sodium salsa, plus ½ cup for serving
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1¾ cups cooked dried beans)
2 cups packed leafy greens
1½ cups diced fresh tomatoes (2 medium)
1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 8 pieces
8 (6-inch) whole wheat or corn tortillas
1 cup shredded plant-based or regular cheese
½ cup plant-based or regular sour cream or plain yogurt
- Shred the tofu with a grater or in a food processor (with shredding attachment).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shredded tofu, mushrooms, green onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 Tbsp salsa, taco seasoning, and soy sauce. Sauté for an additional 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the black beans in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat until warm.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or in a hot skillet for 30 seconds.
- To assemble the tacos: Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup of the tofu-mushroom mixture, ¼ cup black beans, ¼ cup greens, 3 Tbsp chopped tomato, and 1 slice avocado. Top with 1 Tbsp salsa and 2 Tbsp of plant-based cheese and a dollop of sour cream or yogurt (if desired).
Serving Size: 2 tacos
Per serving: Calories: 422; Total Fat: 12 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Total Carbohydrate: 62 g; Total Sugars: 6 g (Added, 0 g);
Dietary Fiber: 18 g; Protein: 22 g; Sodium: 346 mg; Potassium: 1506 mg; Calcium: 256 mg; Vitamin D: 346 mcg; Iron: 8 mg.
(oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; g = grams; mg = milligram(s); mcg = micrograms.)
Recipe and photo courtesy Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian, SharonPalmer.com