- 3/4 cup Quick-Cooking Barley
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/4 cup Frozen corn niblets
- 1/3 cup Orange juice
- 1/3 cup Cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 tsp Hot sauce, such as Tobasco, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked dried black beans
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Scallions
- 1/2 cup Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 Avocado
[Updated July 11, 2018]
Packed with vibrant colors and contrasting textures, this naturally nutrient-dense salad makes a tasty, nutritious, and economical summer side dish.
1. Combine barley and water in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork; let cool.
2. Meanwhile, cook corn according to package directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
3. Combine orange juice, vinegar, oil, cumin, oregano, garlic, hot sauce, and salt in small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake to blend.
4. Combine barley, corn, beans, bell pepper, scallions, and cilantro in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat well. (Salad will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.)
5. Just before serving, garnish with avocado, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
Yield: 8 (-cup) servings
Per serving (without avocado): Calories: 170; Total fat: 8 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 260 mg; Total carbohydrates: 22 g; Fiber: 5 g; Added sugars: 0 g; Protein: 5 g.
tsp: teaspoon; oz: ounce; g: gram(s); mg: milligrams.