- 3 (15-oz) cans black beans, no-salt-added
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (canned or homemade), divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Blend 2 cans of the beans with the tomato paste until the beans are broken down into a thick (but not necessarily smooth) paste.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high head. Add the bean paste, remaining black beans, and remaining broth, and stir to combine. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until fully warmed through and slightly reduced.
- Ladle into 4 bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 300; Total Fat: 2.5 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Total Carbohydrate: 48 g; Total Sugars: 2 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 16 g; Protein: 19 g; Sodium: 430 mg
(oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; g = gram; mg = milligram)
Recipe courtesy of Kelly Toups for Oldways, oldwayspt.org