- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 Tbps minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5-oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup creamy unsalted peanut butter
- 1 (15-oz) can low sodium great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4-5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, potatoes, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the peanut butter until smooth. Add the beans, cover, return to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, cover, and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt. Let soup cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender in batches and puree. Return to the pot and warm over medium heat.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 325; Total Fat: 15 g; Saturated Fat: 3.5 g; Total Carbohydrate: 38.5 g; Total Sugars: 2 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 9 g; Protein: 14 g; Sodium: 321 mg; Potassium: 927 mg; Calcium: 134 mg; Vitamin D: 0 mcg; Iron: 4 mg.
(Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; oz = ounce; g = grams; mg = milligrams; mcg = micrograms)
Recipe and photo: Oldways, www.OldwaysPT.org