- 2 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh (about 2 ears), frozen, or canned
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup wild rice
- 15 ounce 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 juice of lime
- 4 ounce queso fresco (can substitute feta), crumbled or diced
- 1 tsp Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Toss the butternut squash and the corn kernels with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, along with the salt and chili powder. Spread the seasoned veggies in a thin layer over a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden, tossing halfway through.
2. While the veggies are baking, cook wild rice according to package instructions, then drain oﬀ any excess water.
3. In a large bowl, combine the cooked wild rice with the roasted corn and squash. Add the black beans, pepper, lime juice, and queso fresco, along with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) if necessary.
5. Divide into 4 portions and serve warm or chilled.
Yield: 4 Servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 470; Total Fat: 15 g; Saturated Fat: 5 g; Total Carbohydrate: 69 g; Total Sugars: 7 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 13 g; Protein: 20 g; Sodium:
530 mg; Potassium: 1004 mg; Calcium: 253 mg; Vitamin D: 1 mcg; Iron: 4 mg
(tsp = teaspoon; Tbsp = tablespoon; oz = ounce;
g = gram(s); mcg = micrograms; mg = milligrams.)
Recipe adapted from Oldways (www.OldwaysPT.org)