2 lbs Brussels sprouts
1 red onion, sliced
½ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
(or other type of nut)
½ cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (or other plant oil)
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup (or honey)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
Salt and pepper (as desired)
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped coarsely
(or 1 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and slice them in half.
- Toss together onions and Brussels sprouts and arrange evenly on a baking sheet.
- To make vinaigrette: mix together, olive oil, maple syrup, vinegar, garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper (as desired), and rosemary.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over vegetables and toss to distribute.
- Place in top rack of oven and roast until gold brown, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in cranberries and nuts and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: Calories, 143; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Total Carbohydrate: 16 g; Total Sugars: 5 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 6 g; Protein: 5 g; Sodium, 29 mg.
(lbs = pounds; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; g=gram(s); mg = milligrams)
Adapted recipe and photo courtesy of Sharon Palmer, The Plant-Powered Dietitian, SharonPalmer.com