The sardines in this elegant salad can be substituted with any leftover cooked, chilled, and flaked fish or canned fish. And if you can find “haricot verts,” the more delicate, tender form of green beans, give them a try.
1. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, red onion, salt, and black pepper. Set the dressing aside.
2. Bring 2 medium pots of water to a boil. Add the eggs to one pot and cook at a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Cool with running cold water.
3. Add the potatoes to the second pot and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove and then drain, pat dry, and set aside.
4. Add the beans to the boiling potato water, cook for 30 seconds, drain, run under cold water, and set aside.
5. Peel the eggs, cut in half, and set aside.
6. Toss the greens and parsley and arrange on four individual plates. Arrange the potatoes, beans, tomato, and sardines on top of the greens. Use a spoon to drizzle the dressing over the salad, taking care to coat each of the ingredients.
7. Serve immediately, garnished with the eggs. Just before eating, sprinkle with a dash of salt.
Yield: 4 Servings
Nutrients per serving (values for eggs and non-fat milk): Calories: 256; Total Fat: 10 g; Saturated Fat: 2.5 g; Total Carbohydrate: 22 g; Total Sugars: 7 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Protein: 22 g; Sodium: 306 mg; Potassium: 1093 mg; Calcium: 298 mg; Vitamin D: 185 IU; Iron: 5.2 mg
(tsp = teaspoon; Tbsp = tablespoon; lb = pound; oz = ounce; g = gram; mg = milligram
Recipe courtesy of Janis Jibrin, MS, RD. Recipe from The Pescetarian Plan: The Vegetarian + Seafood Way to Lose Weight and Love Your Food. (Ballantine Books, 2014).
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Dash of salt
- 1 Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 small eggs
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, cut into quarter-inch rounds
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 cup baby arugula, spinach, or Bibb lettuce
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 3.75-oz cans sardines, preferably no salt added, drained