Red Lentils with Lime and Cilantro
1. Place red lentils in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Stir the lentils to ensure that they cook evenly.
2. Cook lentils until just soft, approximately 3 minutes. Take care not to overcook because they will fall apart.
3. Drain lentils and rinse with cold water.
4. Place in a large bowl and gently toss with the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
5. Serve room temperature or chilled. Season with a dash of salt just before eating.
Preparation: 5 minutes Cooking: 15 minutes Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: Calories, 202; Total Fat, 4 g; Saturated Fat, 0.5 g; Total Carbohydrate, 29 g; Total Sugars, 1 g (Added, 0 g); Dietary Fiber, 7 g; Protein, 13 g; Sodium, 117 mg; Calcium, 22 mg.
g = gram(s); mg = milligrams.
Recipe courtesy of Janis Jibrin, MS, RD. Recipe from The Pescetarian Plan: The Vegetarian + Seafood Way to Lose Weight and Love Your Food. (Ballantine Books, 2014).
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp plus dash of salt
- 1 Freshly ground black pepper to taste