1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs or tofu, milk, honey, and oil.
3. Add the sugar, flour, cracked wheat, bran, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
4. Stir in the carrots, walnuts, and currants or raisins.
5. Place in 12 individual muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
Yield: 12 muffins
Nutrients per serving (values for eggs and non-fat milk): Calories: 299; Total Fat: 16 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Carbohydrate: 37 g; Dietary Fiber: 6 g; Sugars: 17 g (Added sugars 7 g); Protein: 8 g; Sodium: 270 mg; Potassium: 221 mg; Calcium: 106 mg; Vitamin D: 17 IU; Iron 2 mg.
(Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon; g = grams; mg = milligrams; IU = International Units)
Recipe adapted from The Pescetarian Plan by Janis Jibrin, recipes by Sidra Forman (Ballantine Books, 2014)
- 3 large eggs or 3/4 cup pureed silken tofu
- 3/4 cup milk, almond milk, or soy milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or other plant oil (e.g., canola, soybean)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup stone ground whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cracked wheat, soaked in 1/3 cup boiling water for 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup currants or raisins