Black Bean & Barley Salad
Looking for creative ways to use healthy fats like those in olive or canola oil? Packed with vibrant colors and contrasting textures, this hearty salad—a reader favorite—makes a tasty, nutritious and economical side dish. The optional avocado (one of the few fruits that provides healthy fats) adds 3.3 grams of monounsaturated fat and 0.6 grams of polyunsaturated fat per serving.
1. Combine barley and water in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until barley is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork; let cool.
2. Meanwhile, cook corn according to package directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
3. Combine orange juice, vinegar, oil, cumin, oregano, garlic, hot sauce and salt in small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake to blend.
4. Combine barley, corn, beans, bell pepper, scallions and cilantro or parsley in large bowl. Add orange-juice dressing and toss to coat well. (Salad will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.) Just before serving, garnish with avocado, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
YIELD: 8 (3/4-cup) servings.
Per serving (without avocado): Calories: 170. Total fat: 8 grams. Saturated fat: 1 gram. Cholesterol: 0 milligrams. Sodium: 260 milligrams. Total carbohydrates: 22 grams: Fiber: 5 grams. Protein: 5 grams. Vitamin A: 15%. Vitamin C: 80%. Calcium: 4%. Iron: 6%.
TIP: You can substitute pearl barley for quick-cooking barley. Simmer 1/2 cup pearl barley in 1½ cups water in small covered saucepan 40 to 45 minutes.
- 3/4 cup Quick-Cooking Barley
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/4 cup Frozen corn niblets
- 1/3 cup Orange juice
- 1/3 cup Cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 tsp Hot sauce, such as Tobasco, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Cooked dried black beans
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Scallions
- 1/2 cup Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 Avocado
- 1 Lime