Turkey-White Bean Chili
Turkey and beans are both excellent sources of protein. This easy dish combines them in an entrée suitable for serving a group, yet practical for one or two because it can be made ahead and reheated. It’s ideal for leftover turkey, or you can substitute cooked chicken, such as from a supermarket rotisserie chicken. This is a brothy dish; if you like, serve it over a protein-rich whole grain, such as brown rice or quinoa. Homemade Baked Tortilla Crisps make an appealing accompaniment.
1. Place 1 cup of the beans in a medium bowl and mash with a fork; set mashed and whole beans aside.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add frozen pepper vegetables; cook, stirring from time to time, until starting to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add green chiles, garlic, chili powder and oregano; cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add broth and mashed beans; bring to a simmer, stirring to incorporate mashed beans. Add whole beans and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until flavors have developed, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in cooked turkey (or chicken); simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish as desired. (The chili will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Add a little additional broth or water when reheating to achieve desired consistency.)
Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings.
Per serving (with garnishes): Calories: 270. Unsaturated fat: 6.5 grams. Saturated fat: 1.5 grams. Cholesterol: 35 milligrams. Sodium: 260 milligrams (with no-salt-added beans). Carbohydrates: 28 grams. Fiber: 10 grams. Sugars: 3 grams. Protein: 23 grams.
Tip: If you cannot find no-salt-added canned beans, use regular canned beans but be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly. As the Nutrition Facts label is based on the entire contents of the can, including the salty brine, rinsing the beans thoroughly removes about 40% of the sodium.
- 2 cans white beans (15-oz), such as cannellini, great northern or navy beans, preferably no-salt-added, drained and rinsed thoroughly (3 cups) (see Tip)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables (or 1 red bell pepper and 1 large onion, diced)
- 1 can chopped green chiles (4-1/2 oz)
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups low-sodium turkey broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked skinless turkey or chicken breast (9 oz)