Fish Tacos Without Frying
Fish tacos are an appealing supper that’s easy to make at home. In restaurant versions, the fish is often deep-fried. Here we’ve lightened this recipe by coating the fish with a flavorful spice mix before baking it. Nonfat Greek yogurt, enriched with a little low-fat mayonnaise and fresh herbs, makes a creamy but light topping, along with the classic toppings of shredded cabbage and sliced avocado. If you don’t want to make the entire taco recipe, the spice-crusted fish is also delicious on its own with a squeeze of lime. Several kinds of fish work well in this recipe. When shopping for fish, freshness is everything; the best strategy is to be flexible and choose the fish that is freshest at the store that day.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Mix yogurt, mayonnaise, cilantro (or parsley) and 2 Tbsp lime juice in small bowl.
3. Combine cabbage (or coleslaw mix), jalapeņo, remaining 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp oil and 1/8 tsp salt in medium bowl; toss to mix (The yogurt mixture and cabbage mixture can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
4. Mix chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, ground red pepper and remaining 1/8 tsp salt in small bowl. Cut fish into 2 pieces, if that makes it easier to handle. Brush 2 tsp oil over both sides of fish. Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake fish just until it flakes with a fork, 10 to 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary, depending on thickness of fish.
6. Meanwhile, stack tortillas and wrap in foil. Place on separate rack of oven and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes.
7. To serve: Break fish into large flakes. Fill each tortilla with fish and top with yogurt mixture, cabbage mixture and avocado slices. Serve with lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings (2 tacos each).
Per serving: Calories: 350. Saturated fat: 2 grams. Unsaturated fat: 14 grams. Cholesterol: 45 milligrams. Protein: 23 grams. Sodium: 300 milligrams. Total carbohydrates: 32 grams. Dietary fiber: 7 grams. Sugars: 4 grams.
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 tbsp lime juice, divided, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 cup thinly sliced red or green cabbage, or prepared coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp minced seeded jalapeno pepper (1 medium)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 pound moderately firm white-fleshed fish fillets, such as catfish, cod, grouper, haddock, halibut, mahi mahi, pollock, red snapper, striped bass, or tilapia
- 8 (5 1/2-6 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, quartered, pitted, peeled and sliced