Chia seeds swell to form a gel when moistened. They thicken the juices in this compote made with convenient frozen berries.
- Combine 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, 4 tsp sugar, 2 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, and 1 tsp lemon juice in small saucepan.
- Place over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until berries have thawed and juices have come to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until compote has thickened lightly and chia seeds have become translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup frozen blueberries. Divide compote among 2 dessert dishes. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp nonfat vanilla yogurt (Greek or regular) and 1 tsp toasted sliced almonds.
Yield: 2 (1/2-cup) servings. 130 calories, 3 grams total fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 5 grams fiber, 20 grams sugars per serving.
- 1 cup Unsweetened Blueberries
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lemon zest (Freshly grated)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt (greek or regular)