Quinoa Salad with Mediterranean Flavors
Combine quinoa, water and 1/8 tsp salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
Cover and simmer over low heat until quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has
been absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork. Transfer to large bowl and let cool. Meanwhile, bring large saucepan of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, shallot, pepper and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
Add cherry tomatoes, olives, parsley, chives and green beans to quinoa. Add lemon dressing; toss to coat. Salad will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. To make it the day before, store the blanched green beans separately and toss them into
salad shortly before serving (the acid in the dressing causes green beans to discolor).
Yield: 6 (generous 3/4-cup) servings
Per serving: Calories: 209. Total fat: 13 grams. Saturated fat: 2 grams.
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams. Sodium: 261 milligrams. Carbohydrates: 21 grams: Fiber: 3 grams. Protein: 4 grams.
- 3/4 cup quinoa (rinsed thoroughly)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups green beans, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup pitted kalmata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives